January 27, 2009

Blugold Dining Composting Program

This January, Blugold Dining in partnership with Veolia Environmental Services, has become one of the first commercial facilities in Wisconsin to offer composting as an environmentally friendly, waste disposal alternative.

The composting program, which has been in development over the past several months, will conserve space in local landfills as well as reduce methane emissions by turning food and other waste materials into nutrient rich soil.

Compostable items include food scraps (no bones), Green Mountain coffee cups, lids and stir sticks, eco-friendly plates and napkins, and corn based soda cups, lids, straws, knives, forks and spoons. Other items such as soup and salad containers may be added to the list of compostable items as they become available.

Guests may dispose of food and several other compostable items in green composting containers located throughout Davies Center and Hilltop Recreation Center.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a place where we can post general questions/comments? I may as well post in the most Earth-friendly message for my likewise Earth-friendly comment. Last Friday, I saw that there was a rice & beans dish. This dish had meat (beef/dead cow) in it even though the menu did not identify the animal product. Beings that I don't eat meat, I would appreciate it if left-over animal products were not mixed into foods that are not meant to contain meat.

The more food mixed with meat, the less food I will choose to eat. If I discover a dish that I have taken contains meat, then I will not eat it, and it will be wasted. I think that dishes that do/do not contain meat or animal products should be clearly labeled in order for lines to run smoothly, and then vegetarians or vegans do not need to ask about or double check the content of the menu items. I think that little pictures Velcro-ed above the dishes on the glass panels would clarify this.

Also, I think that meat portions should be smaller. It saves you money, too, because I see a lot of uneaten meat portions being thrown away. Personally, we have cats at home who would love the left-over meat and never waste a nibble, but humans are wasteful and throw it away without regard to their influence on the environment in the form of death and methane. --Smaller meat portions. They can come back to get more.

Just being honest.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comments. I agree we have had mistakes that we have allowed to happen regarding vegetarian dishes. We are striving to correct those issues and make it that when we have a vegetarian dish it really is a vegetarian dish. I apologize for our errors - we will correct.